This delicious spicy noodle salad is perfect for summer nights or when you have no appetite. This is meant to be served cold which I realize some people are not used to. But, if you can get over the initial mental block, you will fall in love with this (provided that you love spicy food). I will also share non-spicy version of this soon.
You can eat it with just hard boiled eggs or pair with other meat dish such as suyuk (korean boiled pork) or yukjeon (panfried battered beef steak). Of course, this can be enjoyed as a vegan dish as well.
You can also easily make this dish gluten-free if you use gluten free noodles like 100% buckwheat noodles or rice vermicelli and use gluten-free gochujang and soy sauce
Spicy Noodle Salad
Buy the sauce ingredients here.
- 10 oz Somyeon Traditionally Somyeon 소면 is used. But, Angel Hair pasta works really well. You can also use soba noodles.
- 3 Eggs optional for hard boiled eggs topping
- 1 Onion, Large chopped
- 1 TBS Cooking oil
- 1 cup Gochujang
- 1 cup Sugar (or sugar substitute) I know that’s a lot of sugar. But it tastes really good this way but you can reduce it if you like.
- 1.5 TBS Soy Sauce
- 1 TBS Garlic minced
- 1 cup Vinegar amount may vary
- ¼ cup Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds optional
- 1 tsp Sea salt I use sea salt but you can use your own salt but amount may vary.
Vegetables (Can replace with your fav veggies)
- 4 oz Green cabbage julienned
- 2 oz Red cabbage julienned
- 8 oz Cucumber julienned
- 3 oz Carrot julienned
- 4 oz Red leaf lettuce julienned
- 3 oz Perilla leaves julienned
- 2 Chili peppers sliced
- Boil water to cook noodles towards the end.
- Preheat a pan on medium heat and add cooking oil
- Saute onion on medium heat until soft
- Add gochujang and cook for 5 min while stirring. (Make sure you don't burn it.)
- Add sugar, garlic, soy sauce and cook until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let it cool.
- Add vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds.
- Taste and add salt as needed. It should taste a little salty (imagine past sauce) to season pasta and veggies.
- Cut all veggies.
- Cook pasta according to the package and wash in cold water until noodles are completely cold. Drain water.
- Arrange noodles and veggies on a plate or a tray with the sauce on the side.
- Add the sauce and mix before eating. Add the sauce gradually while tasting.